Power Transmission / Drivetrain
When the world looks at Detroit, they see world-class automotive manufacturing; Trenton Forging is no exception. Our job is to unleash the incredible power within these engines and transfer it to the pavement below. So, whether you’re taking a Sunday drive or chasing a checkered flag, Trenton Forging has your back.
Read on to learn more about our drivetrain/power transmission forgings and capabilities, or reach out to us today to get started with a quote.
Drivetrain/Power Transmission Forgings
- Brake Yokes
- Parking Pawls
- Shifter Forks
- Driveshaft Yokes
- Parking Sprags
- Impression Die Forging
- Press Forging
- Symmetrical & Asymmetrical Forgings
- Pre- & Post-Forming
- Induction Heating
- Custom Tooling
- Reverse Engineering
- 3D Prototyping
Since 1967, Trenton Forging has specialized in producing high-performance drivetrain/power transmission forgings through our tried-and-trued impression die forging process.
Our process takes several weeks to complete; the estimated turnaround time varies based on the volume of your order and the complexity of the parts we are producing for you. Read below for a complete overview of our process:
- Custom Tooling Creation: First, our engineers develop custom tooling (dies) based on any blueprints, CAD models, or sample components you’ve provided us. The impression, or cavity, of each die, is customized based on the product we’re manufacturing. Any custom tooling and/or sample forgings can be shipped to you within two to three weeks.
- Raw Material Procurement: After you approve your tooling design, we’ll purchase raw materials for the project. All virgin steel is ordered in the correct grade and diameter based on your component. Once we procure the materials, we’ll cut them into billets using our CNC cold saws. This entire process takes between one to three weeks; the timeline varies based on our steel mill’s estimated shipping times.
- Preheat & Preform: After we cut the stock into billets, we’ll heat them to a predetermined temperature using our energy-efficient induction heaters and shape them to fit into your custom tooling.
- Forging: The impression die forging process, including preheating, preforming, drop forging or press forging, and cooling, takes one to three days to complete. Again, the length of time will vary based on production volume and part complexity.
- Shot Blast Cleaning: Once your forged component has been produced, it’s rapidly cooled in a controlled environment to ensure it retains its exceptional mechanical properties. Then, we’ll clean the part’s surface and remove scale via shot blast cleaning. If your component requires any post-forging heat treatments, we will perform them after we clean the part.
- QA Inspections: All drivetrain/power transmission forgings we produce for you are hand-inspected by our team.We can also provide magnetic particle inspections if the application requires it.
Why Work With Trenton Forging?
Trenton Forging has been a trusted U.S. manufacturer of forged transmission and drivetrain parts for more than five decades. Since our founding, we’ve built a reputation for quality, innovation, and efficiency. We also have some of the fastest turnaround times in the industry. No matter the volume or complexity of the project, we’re committed to meeting and exceeding your expectations.
Get Started With a Quote Today
It’s time to shift into gear: reach out to Trenton Forging today to learn more about our capabilities or to request a quote.