Founded in 1967, Trenton Forging is an ISO-certified American forging manufacturer specializing in impression die forging. We can produce symmetrical and asymmetrical components with exceptionally tight tolerances, and work with all types of steel, including microalloys.
In addition to our microalloy forging services, our capabilities include:
- Custom Tooling & Die Welding
- 3D Printing & Prototyping
- 3D Laser Scanning & Reverse Engineering
What Is Microalloy Forging?
In conventional industrial forging, each element added to the alloy must be in relatively large quantities to be manipulable. However, microalloyed steel forging uses advanced tools and techniques to enable tiny amounts of alloying elements to be added to the steel. These can be as small as 0.05% or less in some cases.
Common alloying elements used in microalloy forging include titanium, molybdenum, vanadium, boron, zirconium, and rare-earth metals. The forging process can also help refine the alloy’s microstructure and facilitate hardening.
The significantly improved control over the alloy means the result has better characteristics and improved consistency.
What Are the Benefits of Microalloy Forging?
- No Heat Treatment Necessary: Microalloy steel can achieve high strength and hardness without the need for heat treatment. Although this has some disadvantages regarding maximum durability, the hardness and yield strength are consistent throughout, which can be desirable in many applications.
- Lower Cost: Typically, microalloy steels can be forged with the desired properties at a lower cost than hot forging. Even compared to cold-worked steels, the desired strength can be achieved with less work than other steels, reducing the expense.
- Greater Control: Sometimes, you have precise requirements and low tolerances for your project. The available control with microalloy steel helps to ensure that the alloy perfectly matches your needs.
Request a First Article Sample Today
Complete our online form today to learn more about our microalloy forging and other value-added services or to request a first article sample.